Blythweb - Featured Blythweb Reports
Over the years Blythweb has displayed a whole range of featured reports, from village signs in the Blyth Valley to Local historical Oddities and even reports about a few of the people of the Blyth Valley.
Below is a listing of all of our Reports.
- Wenhaston Millennium Map – This map was made by the people of Wenhaston and Mells to mark the second Millennium, to show their appreciation of the local environment, and to promote interest, concern and care for its well being. The pupils of Wenhaston School made the wildlife decorative border of the map.
- The Blythburgh Angel – A report about the design and history of The Blythburgh Angel, The village sign created to mark the Millennium.
- Local Poet Richard Maslen – A short introduction to the local Poet Richard Maslen, as well as a sample of his poems inspired by the Blyth Valley.
- The Bulcamp Oddity – Our short piece about an unusual architectural feature close to the A12 at Henham.
- Town and Village Signs – Pictures and information of the often beautiful and detailed town and village signs in and around the Blyth Valley area.
- The Electric Picture Palace Opening – Our report on the opening of the Electric Picture Palace on the 18th May 2002 with special guest Michael Palin
- Wangford Village Tour – The tour was conceived in 2004 and this was conducted by local resident Peter Muttitt. Here we have re-published this tour guide and included Peter´s additional points.
- Halesworth Airfield War Memorials – A fascinating link to the three war memorials just outside the Halesworth Airfield Museum, for the American servicemen who served there in the Second World War.
- Wenhaston's Millennium Sundial – An informed write up about the Millennium sundial affixed to the wall of Wenhaston Village Hall, as well as a guide to how to work out the time from the shadow on the dial.
- All About The Wenhaston Doom – A detailed exploration and guide to the nationally recognised and important Wenhaston Doom, a large 500+ year old panel painting rediscovered only 120 years ago.
- A Short History Of Blythburgh – A short history of the distinctive but quiet village of Blythburgh - famed for its large church in the marshes - written by Alan Mackley
- Local History Notes – Here the Blythburgh History Society have written 30 comprehensive articles on various different aspects of local history.
- Wenhaston St. Peter's Churchyard and Memorial Graveyard – Members of the Wenhaston WI, their friends and families, have examined and recorded all the memorials in St. Peter's Churchyard and nighbouring Memorial Graveyard in Wenhaston. Many of these were very worn or hidden in bushes, and so very hard to read.
Some Favourite Websites For January 2021:
Janet Talks – Janet Gershlick is a writer and broadcaster with many years experience
Southwold 'A place to love' has almost 200 pages packed with the stories and histories behind the inscriptions on its colourful beach huts, its many benches and on those small brass plaques on Southwold pier. The stories will both delight and inform.
Logs Logs Logs – Family Firm delivering kiln dried logs to Norfolk and Suffolk, including Norwich, Diss and Woodbridge
Logs available in tipper loads and bulk bags for wood burning stoves, open fires and pizza ovens. In addition supplying firewood in bulk bags to Essex, Cambridgeshire, London and beyond.
Stoneware Birds – Life-sized handmade and unique British birds, now available to buy online.
A charming unique gift or a treat for oneself. See the website to know how each one is made. Now available to buy online. Each bird is an individual creation, varying in choice from the perky wren to the plump bullfinch together with other well-loved British birds. Which will you choose?
Andy Seedhouse Boats – Andy Seedhouse Boats, Woodbridge - Boat Sales
A friendly and professional family-run business with an old-fashioned approach to customer service, located on the picturesque waterfront at Woodbridge on the River Deben. From dinghies and day boats to fishing boats and yachts, and even including liveaboard boats too, Andy brings his many years of experience in helping his customers buy and sell. Also chandlery, trailers, etc.
Alan Ross Removals – Alan Ross Removals
A long-established Suffolk-based company with a wealth of experience and offering competitive pricing for removals, haulage and storage. Residential and commercial relocation services offered.